Hardenbrook, Joe. “I Didn’t Know I Could Use the Library!” Meeting the Needs of Students Online. WILU 2013 [Workshop for Instruction in Library Use]. Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. May 8-10, 2013.
Hardenbrook, Joe & Anne Kasuboski. Get ‘Embed’ with Your Librarian! Meeting the Needs of Students Online. Wisconsin Association of Academic Librarians Conference. Elkhart Lake, WI. April 26, 2013
Ettinger, Renee & Joe Hardenbrook. Creating an Engaging Library: Marketing from the Ground Up. Wisconsin Library Association Annual Conference. La Crosse, WI. October 24-26, 2012.
Hardenbrook, Joe. Assessment into Action: Meeting the Needs of Adult Learners. [Poster Presentation]. American Library Association Annual Conference. Anaheim, CA. June 23-26, 2012.
Fuller, Cindy, Debbie Campbell, Denise D. Green, Joe Hardenbrook & Amanda Pippitt. In the Know: Copyright and the Classroom. Millikin University Faculty Workshop. December 2 & 3, 2009.
Hardenbrook, Joe. Clicking with Students: Using a Student Response System in Library Instruction. I-Share Instruction Forum: Using Social Technologies in Library Instruction. Sponsored by the Consortium of Academic & Research Libraries in Illinois. University of Illinois at Springfield. April 2, 2009.
Myers, Debbie, Joe Hardenbrook & Carmella Braniger. The Kids are Alright: How School and Academic Librarians Can Work Together to Promote Information Literacy. Rolling Prairie Library System Summer Camp for School Librarians. Decatur, IL. July 8, 2008.
Hardenbrook, Joe & Debbie Myers. Low Cost (and No Cost!) Technology Tools for Information Literacy. Illinois Information Literacy Summit. Illinois Central College, East Peoria, IL. April 8, 2008.
Jerabek, J.Ann, Lynn McMain, & Joe Hardenbrook. From Far and Near: Analysis of On-Campus and Distance Learning Students’ Responses to a Library Assessment. Brick and Click Libraries Conference. Northwest Missouri State University, Maryville, MO. November 3, 2006.
Hardenbrook, Joe & Amanda Pippitt. Copyright Issues in Higher Education. Associated Colleges of Illinois/AT&T Teaching and Learning Mentors Mini-Institute. Millikin University. September 9, 2006.
TUTORIALS, MULTIMEDIA & WEB CREATIONS
What is Search@UW? / UW-Green Bay
Promotional video for the Search@UW research tool.
How to Avoid Plagiarism: When to Cite Sources / UW-Green Bay
Prezi on strategies and tips to prevent plagiarism. Info on citing sources.
Introduction to NoodleTools / UW-Green Bay
Instructions on using NoodleTools to cite sources.
Bash in the Stacks 2012 / UW-Green Bay
Video highlights of Cofrin Library’s welcome back party for students.
Identifying Scholarly Sources / UW-Green Bay
Video explaining the concept of scholarly v. popular sources and key factors in determining whether a source is scholarly.
Connecting Google Scholar with Cofrin Library / UW-Green Bay
Video explaining how to set-up Google Scholar search preferences to include Cofrin Library content.
Cofrin Library: Services for College Credit in High School Students / UW-Green Bay
Video targeted at high school students taking college course for UW-Green Bay credit. Provides a quick explanation of the various library services and resources offered and directs students to accompanying webpage.
Cofrin Library: Services for Adult Degree Students / UW-Green Bay
Video targeted at UW-Green Bay students enrolled in the adult degree program. Provides a quick explanation of the various library services and resources offered and directs students to accompanying webpage.
Cofrin Library: Services for Transfer Students / UW-Green Bay
Video targeted at UW-Green Bay transfer students. Provides a quick explanation of the various library services and resources offered and directs students to accompanying webpage.
It’s Your Story: Postcard Exhibit / Millikin University
Based off of the popular Post Secret books, this project was a collaboration between an undergraduate research fellow and an English professor. Several student groups and Staley Library sponsored the exhibit. I created this promotional video with Apple’s iMovie, using images of the students’ work. I worked with the English professor to write the script and provide narration.
Edible Book Festival / Millikin University
Video created to market the library’s Edible Book Festival. Features photos from the previous year’s festival. I wrote the script and provided narration, along with another librarian. The video was then posted to the the library web site, the library’s Facebook page, and uploaded to YouTube. Produced using Apple’s iMovie program.
Nailing the Library Interview
I created this page as a resource for new librarians, or those job hunting for library positions. It covers commonly asked interview questions, suggests questions that prospective librarians should ask potential employers, and provides links to job postings, career advice, and resume/cover letter writing.
CREDIT-BEARING COURSES TAUGHT
- Information Science 410: Advanced Information Problems (Spring 2013) / University of Wisconsin-Green Bay
- English 382: Podcast Publishing (Fall 2008) / Millikin University
- English 160: The College Experience through Film (Spring 2008) / Millikin University
- Library Science 130: Information Access Strategies (Fall 2004, Spring 2005) / Sam Houston State University
SELECTED COURSE & TOPIC GUIDES – LIBGUIDES (UW-Green Bay)
- Business Administration 490 Library Guide
- English Composition 100 (Social Media) Library Guide
- English Composition 105 (Green Bay Eats) Library Guide
- History 104/Humanistic Studies Library Guide
- Human Development 336 Library Guide
- Human Development 353 Library Guide
- Spanish 225 Library Guide
- 9/11: Tenth Anniversary Research Guide
- Adult Degree Students: Library Guide
- Adult Degree Faculty: Library Guide
- Black History Month Library Guide
- Cite Your Sources Guide (revision)
- College Credit in High School Guide
- Company & Industry Information Research Guide
- Earth Day and the Environment Research Guide
- Election 2012 Research Guide
- Library Instruction Guide (revision)
- Nutrition & Dietetics Research Guide
- Occupy Wall Street & Occupy Movement Library Guide
- Plagiarism Guide
- Search@UW Guide
- Scholarly Sources Guide
- Sustainable Food & Agriculture Research Guide
- Transfer Students: Library Guide
- Using Google Scholar Guide
- What Tool Should I Use to Find Information?
- Women’s History Month Library Guide
SOCIAL MEDIA, HANDOUTS, REPORTS
- SNHU Shapiro Library Self-Guided Tour
- Finding Articles / Finding Books (Worksheet)
- Communication 204 Library Tips
- Search Strategy Checklist Tips for IN151
- Assessment Plan – Library Instruction for the First-Year Experience
- Student Learning in Library Research Instruction
- Educational Technology Report
- Foreign Language Films
- Staley Library READ Bookmarks
- Edible Book Festival
- Instructional Services
- SNHU Library Twitter Account - created the account
- Staley Library Facebook Page - created the account
- UWGB Cofrin Library Facebook Page – maintained the account
- UWGB Cofrin Library Twitter Account – maintained the account